A no-cost registration is required for any person using dogs to take (harvest), attempt to take, trail, pursue or molest deer on private property in Florida. Once issued, the registration number must be on or attached to the collar of any deer dog used on the property identified in the registration.
You may apply for deer dog registration online or by mail beginning in July and until 30 days prior to the final day of general gun season in the hunting zone where the property is located.
Read the requirements below and print out a copy of the Application form or apply online using the 'links' at the bottom of the page.
*Applicants registered from the prior year will receive the same Registration number issued the previous year when registering as a 'Renewal'. Renewal letters will be mailed in early July.
What this registration allows:
- Use of dogs to take, attempt to take, trail, or pursue deer on the property identified in the registration during the deer dog training season and any open deer hunting season when taking of deer with dogs is permitted and pursuant to Rule 68A-12.007, F.A.C., and the conditions of a valid deer dog registration.
What this registration does NOT allow:
- Use of any dog to take attempt to take, trail or pursue deer on property not identified in the registration.
Requirements and conditions:
- The registration requirement is in addition to all existing rules regarding the use of dogs for hunting including the hunter responsibility and road hunting rules.
- Registration can be issued to the landowner or any other individual who has rights to hunt the property as designated by the landowner in a hunting lease or written permission.
- No person using a dog for taking, attempting to take, trailing, pursuing or molesting deer shall allow dog off the property identified in the registration, whether intentionally or negligently.
- All persons using dogs to take attempt to take, trail, pursue or molest deer on the property identified in the registration shall be in possession of a copy of the Registration.
- All dogs used for taking, attempting to take, trailing, pursuing or molesting deer on the property identified in the registration shall have the entire Registration Number legibly displayed on the collar of the dog or on an attachment to the collar of the dog (NOTE: to keep your same registration number each year, you must register as a 'Renewal').
- Failure to comply with these registration requirements would be a violation of FWC rule and result in a citation.
Information you must have available to apply for this registration:
- Information about the property, including a boundary map showing the location of the property. All property must be clearly outlined and labeled with the property name and legibly show the highway leading to property.
- Contact information for the landowner(s) will be required on the application and landowner permission is required with each year’s application.
- If applicant is not the owner, a copy of a hunting lease or written permission from the landowner for hunting the property.
How to apply for this registration:
- Click on 'Apply Online for Deer Dog Registration' below. This will take you to a login screen.
- If you have previously applied online for an FWC deer dog registration, special permit or 'disability' license, enter your username and password or other identifying information; click on your 'DD number' and 'Renew'. If you have not applied for an FWC permit before click on 'Register'. Enter the requested information and create your username and password.
- Enter your username and password.
- Enter the requested information.
- Submit your application.
- Your application will be reviewed.
- If you supplied an e-mail address you will receive notification of approval or denial of the registration. If you do not supply an e-mail address you will need to return to the site periodically to determine your status.
- If approved sign on to the application site by clicking the button below and print the registration.
- Read and sign registration.
Remember: A copy of this registration must be in the physical possession of any person who is on the property and using dogs to take deer and must be presented to any law enforcement officer upon request. The registration number must be on or attached to the collar of any dog used for taking deer on the registered property.
*On-line helpful hint for previous applicants: If you had a Deer Dog registration in the past, your actual permit would have included your permit number. This is what is called your 'DD number.' It would have started with DD followed by a group of numbers. Example: DD-1234. If you have this 'DD number' you never want to create a new permit for the same property, as this would give you an entirely different DD number and all your previous information will not transfer over. In the on-line 'PermitMe' system, click on your previous DD permit number and you will then see a renew button. Click on it and all your previous information will transfer over and the permit number will remain the same. If you have questions or need assistance, call 850-488-3641.