What is RSS?
RSS (Really Simple Syndication) is a technology that allows users to distribute and gather Web content (such as news headlines). Using RSS, Web content providers can easily create and disseminate feeds of data that include, for example, news links, headlines and summaries.
Typical applications for consuming or using RSS include:
- Using a program known as a news aggregator to collect, update and display RSS feeds
- Incorporating RSS feeds into websites
Available feeds from the FWC (Click on the button next to the topic you want an RSS feed from.)
What are the benefits of using RSS?
RSS is an easy way for you to be alerted when content that interests you appears on your favorite websites. Instead of visiting a particular website to browse for new articles and features, RSS automatically tells you when something new is posted online.
Where do I get an RSS reader?
A wide range of RSS readers can be easily downloaded from the Web. Some readers are Web-based while others require you to download a small software program onto your desktop. Most are free to use. (Several readers require Microsoft's .NET framework on your computer. They may be slightly more complicated to install if you do not have .NET.)
Typing "RSS Reader" into any search engine will result in a list of available RSS readers. A few sample readers are also offered below for the purpose of evaluation:
- Amphetadesk - Windows, Mac, Linux (open source); freeware
- Awasu - Windows; free for personal use
- Bloglines - Web-based news aggregator; free
- FeedDemon - Windows; commercial software, trial available
- Feedreader - Windows (open source); freeware
- NewsFire - Mac OS X; freeware
- RSS Reader - Windows; freeware
How can I sign up for RSS feeds from MyFWC.com?
The first step, as described above, is to choose an RSS reader. Each reader has a slightly different way of adding a new feed (also called a "channel"). In most cases, here's how it works:
- Click on the small RSS button near the channel you want (FWC News, for example).
- In your browser, select "Subscribe to this feed"
Where can I get help with an individual reader?
FWC does not support individual readers, nor does it provide technical assistance. Please check the website for your reader or contact the reader's customer service department if you need help.
How do I incorporate FWC feeds into my website?
RSS files are XML and not HTML, so they cannot be added to a web page without processing (or parsing). You can find more information about this process and the tools you will need on the following site:
FWC does not provide technical support for adding its feeds to third-party sites.