Wildlife Through the Year: September
- Warblers migrate southward.
- In late September gray bats migrate to north Alabama for winter
- First signs of leaves changing color; blazing star, rabbit
tobacco and blue curls abloom.
- Peak of hurricane season - watch for unusual bird sightings
following tropical storms.
eagles return to nest sites and begin courtship.
- Panhandle blue crabs migrate to deeper water for winter.
- Hawks begin migrating; watch for them along both coasts and in
the Florida Keys.
- Peak blooming period for water-spider orchids in central
- Florida scrub-jay fledglings have
completely blue heads, having lost their brown juvenile
- The rut begins for Key deer.
- Atlantic sturgeon begin fall migration from the Suwannee and
Apalachicola Rivers to the Gulf of Mexico.
- Green sea turtles continue to nest; loggerhead leave Florida shores to
begin their migrations.
- Lights Out! Sea turtles emerge from their nests and
head for the ocean. Females may become confused by lights on the
- Lovebugs, or Bibionidae flies, mate in the middle of