No Daily-Use Permit currently required. To hunt or fish you must possess the appropriate license and permit.
Boat ramps, picnic, and toilet facilities at Goose Pasture and the headwaters of the Wacissa. Boat access and picnic facilities also available at Welaunee Landing. Canoe/kayak/hand launch is available at Calico Hill. Picnic facilities available at Western Sloughs.
Map of Aucilla
The area is open to public access year round, except access is prohibited in that portion of the still hunt area north of Goose Pasture Road and east of Oneal Tram from 1 1/2 hours after sunset until 1/12 hours before sunrise.
Hunting Regulations, Map and Hunt Calendar
Vehicle use regulations
- Vehicles may be operated only on named and numbered roads and shall enter and exit at designated entrances.
- A marked footpath called the Florida Trail traverses the area. This trail is open to hikers throughout the year.
- Parked vehicles may not obstruct a road, gate or firelane.
- No motor vehicle shall be operated on any part of any wildlife management area that has been designated as closed to vehicular traffic. Motorcycles may only be operated on roads open to other motor vehicles.
- Use of all-terrain vehicles is prohibited.
Rules Regarding Dogs
- For purposes other than hunting, dogs are allowed, but must be kept under physical restraint at all times. Dogs are prohibited in areas posted as "Closed to Public Access" by FWC administrative action. No person shall allow any dog to pursue or molest any wildlife during any period in which the taking of wildlife by the use of dogs is prohibited.
- Hunting dogs may be taken onto the WMA after 8 a.m. the day before the opening of a season and shall be removed by 6 p.m. one day after the end of the season. Dogs are prohibited in areas posted as "Closed to Public Access" by FWC administrative action. Hunting with dogs other than bird dogs or retrievers is prohibited in the still hunt area. Hunting wild hog or deer with dogs is only allowed during the general gun season in the dog hunt area. No person shall allow any dog to pursue or molest any wildlife during any period in which the taking of wildlife by the use of dogs is prohibitied. Dogs on leashes may be used for trailing wounded game.
Jefferson and Taylor counties; main entrance is at Western Sloughs about 3.5 miles east of junction of highways 59 and 98; hiker access off Goose Pasture Road about 1 mile west of Powell Hammock Grade and at the small game hunt area south of 98 about 4 miles east of highway 98 and 59 junction; boater access at the headsprings of the Wacissa and at Goose Pasture.
View a location map
Additional wildlife viewing sites in the vicinity.
Ochlocknee River State Park (camping permitted); Goose Pasture (camping permitted); Wakulla Springs State Park; Econfina River State Park; St. Marks National Wildlife Refuge.
Tallahassee is 15 miles northwest of the Wacissa headwaters at the north end of the WMA. From the Western Sloughs entrance, Perry is 27 miles east, and Wakulla is 15 miles west.